Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweetness!



I made two smoothies tonight that I love! I have a weakness for baby spinach, so I wound up using that in both smoothies. In one smoothie, I used baby spinach, almost 2 bags of frozen strawberries, 1 apple and some drops of Stevia. It was so yummy because it had a little sweet edge to it. I was hoping my kids would like it more if it were sweet, and they do! The benefits: Stevia is 0 calorie, naturally sweet, and plant based extract. It is an essential part of one's diet who cuts out other natural sweeteners. At the health food store, you can buy so many flavors of Stevia other than the plain one like rootbeer, Enligsh Toffee, Vanilla Bean, Coffee, Raspberry, and so on. Sometimes, I juice a lemon, add 2 drops of Stevia and water, and I have a delicious lemonade without the calories. It lasts forever because it is so potent, but Stevia does cost $15.99. I use it in coffee with a little almond mylk. I also like to use it on fresh apples. I cut them into slices, drop a small amount of stevia on each piece, and sprinkle cinnamon over all the apples. Then I bake the apples for about 25 minutes on 375. It tastes similar to apple cinnamon pie and has about 70 calories for four pieces.

I also juiced about 5 grapefruits and 4 lemons because my son and husband have been sick. I thought they could use a good vitamin C boost with their Shaklee vitamins. I added a few drops of Stevia to the jug and shook it up. It tastes great.

1 comment: